Saturday, May 28, 2016

A Saturday Evening of Gaming (Of the Board and Party Variety)

I wrote back in January that I ended the year 2015 with an evening of board games and party games. A couple Saturdays ago, such an evening arose once more. Much like that January entry, I'll provide a list of the games played as well as my two cents. With a couple exceptions, I never played any of these games before. One thing all the games have in common is that they require a modicum of social acumen.


Disclaimer: It's been a couple weeks so not only will details be fuzzy but I may get some of the names wrong.


Code Names - Didn't get an exact feel for how the game is played. I gathered that two players from two different teams select a word and the teammates must select the corresponding words best fit the hints given. Plays fast. Seems easy enough.


SuperFight - Imagine if Cards Against Humanity and a dueling game were merged together and the winner is whomever can convince the other players not involved in that duel that their selection is better? SuperFight is that game. Enormously fun. If your group likes to argue versus match ups, this is the game for you.


Two Rooms and a Bomb - My second time playing. Personally, I prefer the nontraditional cards, ie the cards that are not Red Team/Bomb and Blue Team/President, as I like how they spice up the game. One of those the more players, the better games.


Ultimate Werewolf - A narrative social game where you have to figure out who is the werewolf while trying not to be killed because other people think you're the werewolf. One of the players is indeed the werewolf. I played a villager, followed by hunter, and then villager killed by the hunter. Yeah... I was the failing end all three games...


Resistance - Another game that I played on New Year's. Still haven't worked out the kinks. My strategy was to approve everything. Didn't work.


Masquerade - A game where you have role and that role can provide a unique tactic that can propel you to victory. The catch is that another player can switch that role and you (possibly both of you) don't know. A lot of fun. Since there are ten roles/cards, would be interesting to see how a game of ten players would unfold.


Don't recall if there were any other games played. An enjoyable evening. Hope another such evening occurs before next New Year's.

No comments: