Sunday, December 15, 2019

Was WWE TLC 2019 Any Good?


Yesterday when I posted my first blog entry of December I stated I may follow up with another blog entry today about the WWE PPV TLC 2019. I do have a subscription with WWE Network; and I just learned buying the PPV separately costs a whopping $40! The Network comes out to being a roughly a quarter that. Another incentive to watch the thing. Plus, my blog resolution was to blog my thoughts on WWE programming available on the Network after all...

So...

Was WWE TLC 2019 any good? Would I have paid the (compared to the WWE Network price) exorbitant $40?

My thoughts on TLC matches are complicated. I was a latecomer to ECW back in the day. ECW had pretty much reached its twilight years when I began following the weekly television programming. Still the little brand that could held a special place in my heart. The TLC PPV is among the heritage PPV that are rare showcases of hardcore styles. On the flip side, I haven't been much of a fan of WWE's Tables, Ladder, Chairs, or combination of all three matches. Perhaps it was the PG era. Perhaps it was the performances. Perhaps it was the booking. As a special match isolated on a card, sure. As an entire card, WWE struck me as clueless.

When I finished watching WWE TLC 2019, I had to take some time to ponder my thoughts. So you disliked it?

Nope. Far from it. In fact, I liked it tremendously.

WWE TLC 2019 was the kind of wrestling card that left me breathless, with a cathartic release. One of those satisfying done-in-ones despite not really changing anything.

The New Day vs the Revival Ladder Match? Another Kofi Kingston highlight reel. Not that Big E nor the Revival were slouches either as they added innovations of their own.

Aleister Black vs Buddy Murphy? While not a TLC match and the closest to hardcore it got was Aleister Black getting bloody, Black and Murphy put on chain strike clinic.

Viking Raiders vs the OC got over just how agile the Viking Raiders are without hurting the OC. In fact, it likely launched a feud between them. Also not a hardcore match.

Roman Reigns vs King Baron Corbin TLC match was phenomenal. I am NOT a fan of Reigns and it felt it was among his better matches. Corbin also brought his A game and raised my estimation of him. Some may decry the finish; however I felt it necessary to maintain the feud.

Miz vs Smackdown Champion Bray Wyatt: Not a hardcore match; however the point of the match was to get over how resilient Bray Wyatt is. Amazing how popular Firefly Funhouse Bray is with the crowd! The mallet afterwards had a nice Harley Quinn touch. For those wondering when Daniel Bryan would return, he did so tonight. With a new but old look. Despite his 'spending time with the Fiend', it would appear to Bryan and Wyatt will be clashing a Royal Rumble. Guess Bryan isn't joining his new family after all.

Lasley vs Rusev Table Match: An awesome match. I am getting shades of Beaulah-Raven-Tommy Dreamer with this feud as I was not expecting the winner. What will be next for Lashley and Rusev?

A brawl broke out backstage.

The Kubaki Warriors vs Becky Lynch and Charlotte Flair Ladder Match: ECW! ECW! ECW! I am not what's crazier, how much they forgot the ladder or all batshit crazy antics that were pulled out during this match. If there was a match that truly reflected the spirit of ECW, it was this match.

Afterward the brawl spilled out into the arena ending with Reigns spearing Corbin onto the crowd of wrestlers underneath.

If I forgot a match, no slight is intended. It was truly a terrific card. For WWE TLC 2019 being thrown together at practically the last minute, it was a rare gem. I wouldn't have felt jilted if I paid $40.

Next time.

No comments: