Saturday, December 14, 2019

No More Twice-A-Month Comics For Me!


Around last New Year's, I had resolved to reduce the number of comics I purchase during a month based on reading habits. Earlier this year, I had hoped blogging my Comics Haul would give clarity by encourage reading. Alas, I bought too many comic book issues during 2019.

I blame twice-a-month shipping titles.

Yes, I was vaguely aware twice-a-month titles weren't ideal for my reading habits. However, like an addict, I was like 'I just need to make it a priority'.

Coincidentally, my pull list was giving me problems at my Favorite Local Comics Shop. Their software would become confused whenever I mixed and matched normal covers with variant covers. Missed out on the Scott Snyder Justice League #3 because of it. Justice League was going to become an early casualty until I found a copy of #3 for dirt cheap last spring.

Still *ahem* haven't read any of the issues.

But, I digress as Peter David would say.

Anyway, since I like the prospect of ordering variants *when I can see the variant and can order a copy*, the solution was that I include *every single issue* of my pull list within my Previews Order. Want to know what gets old really fast? Marking down multiple issues of a single title. Want to know what gets old faster? Writing it all out via email because you want to able to submit your order on time.

My Comics Haul installments weren't without any clarity. I *did* decide to drop titles and noted such. I quickly realized which monthly titles I could easily do without. Probably wouldn't have gotten back into the X-Books again without it. Ironically, if I had kept up the Comics Haul (I simply haven't been buying my comics on New Comics Day Wednesday and when I do it's multiple weeks), I probably would have dropped the X-Books in January.

Instead, I am dropping them in February.

I am also riding out my collection of Captain America and Fantastic Four until the conclusion of their current arcs. Well, current volume of Captain America as I noted in prior Comics Haul. Maybe I will get the new volume of Coates's run, I don't know.

My souring of following continuity has also played a role in my abandoning twice-a-month comics. Once the illusion of change is blatantly revealed as such why amortize the cost? Trades have been iffy with me. However, 2019 has been the year of the DC/Marvel Omnibus for me. I have bought more Omnibuses this year than all the years prior. Could probably multiply it in fact...

The Hickman X-Men will probably be collected as an Omnibus too...

Hopefully, this means I will eliminate any intimidation whenever I bring my comics home and read them as opposed to merely flipping through them. Plus, instead of merely collecting the 'major titles', I can read them in big chunks.

Or read them digitally via Marvel Unlimited and DC Universe. Which is money already spent saving future money.

However, what I will enjoy the most when compiling my order is not having to record every single issue. If it leads to less Marvel and DC, so be it.

Until Next Time (which may be Sunday Night with my thoughts on WWE TLC PPV).

No comments: