Tuesday, January 29, 2019

WWE 205 Live 1/29/19 Thoughts




Must admit I haven't watched much WWE 205 Live since June. Heck, I've commented on here I really have not made WWE programming must-watch of late. However, this Sunday's Royal Rumble kicked off WrestleMania season. While I didn't watch much of it yet, I did catch the 30-Man Royal Rumble match. It whet my appetite for more WWE programming.


Thus, one can expect more of my thoughts on WWE's latest here. I'm not able to watch both flagship shows (Raw, Smackdown Live) live; but I was able to watch 205 Live er, live for the first time in months. Here's my thoughts:


Kalisto (with Lucha House Party) vs Mike Kanellis (with Maria)

While Maria ranted about about favoritism, Mike Kanellis dominated with stiff strikes. Much like a typical WWE match. Then, Kalisto took the lead with until a sick bump outside the ring. Match takes on a more 205 Live form after both gather their breaths on the mat. The three suplexe were cool; but not enough to prevent Kalisto rolling Kanellis for the pin. Crowd was dead most of the match. Have to agree with the crowd.

Rating: 2 out of 5 Stars



There were several promos one of which I missed as I was too busy live-blogging my thoughts on the Kalisto/Mike Kanellis match. No more live-blogging. Buddy Murphy's promo, which aired after the footage of Tony Neese's attack on Noam Dar was... meh. Also wasn't impressed too much with Daivari's promo hyping Itami's match with Tozawa either. Too be fair I haven't watched 205 Live in months...


They hype Saturday's Worlds Collide event on the Network including the rosters from both NXT rosters and 205 Live as they compete in tournament, which will allow the winner to challenge the champion of their choosing from either 205 Live, NXT, or NXT UK. Maybe I'll watch it...



There's also hype for Halftime Heat, which streams during the Super Bowl halftime. It'll be a six-man tag match starring NXT stars. If am able to I'll watch it live...



Akira Tozawa (with Brian Kendrick) vs Hideo Itami (with Ariya Daivari)
Loved the story of this match which the announcers sold as the culmination of a 2018 storyline between the idol and admirer whom were once tag partners but then soured. They really played up Tozawa as the underdog trying to prove himself against the famed Itami. Much more action in this match filled with striking, grappling, high-impact moves, and high flying moves. Both men outside the ring also gradually became more and more involved. Kendrick would encourage Tozawa by doing Tozawa's signature shout, while trying to keep Daivari honest. After several near finishes, Daivari finally succeeded in distracting Tozawa after knocking out Kendricks. Ironically, Daivari ended up becoming a distraction himself enabling the underdog Tozawa to defeat the noted Hideo Itami.


Rating: 3 out of 5 stars. A solid match to end the show and end this feud. I may've enjoyed this more if I had followed 205 Live more during 2018.


Afterwards, Ariya Daivari turns on Hideo Itami, So we know who Hideo Itami will be feuding with next! Since I am familiar with Hideo Itami as KENTA, I am more than ready to cheer him on as face. Based on the chants of 'One More Time!', the rest of the crowd may require more convincing.


Overall, it was an okay post-Royal Rumble show. It introduced Mike Kanellis to the 205 Live audience, elevated Akira Tozawa, and kicked off Hideo Itami's next feud.


Next time.

 

No comments: