Thursday, January 31, 2019

New Comic Prices Make Antique Store Prices More Amenable



Don't worry folks! Aquaman didn't just lose his hand nor was Jason Mamoa the first time Aquaman had long hair and a beard.

In fact, this is also a 'finally!' post too as I finally acquired a copy of the key issue where Arthur lost his hand!

Don't worry his hand got better. Was a long, strange trip in the most comics way possible!


Anyway, about thirty years ago, I saw a copy of Aquaman #2 on the rack at a comics shop. Ten dollars was the sticker price! The cover price was $1.50; there was no way I would ever pay that much for a back issue comic. After all, I hated the beard and the harpoon hand. About that, my disgruntlement over beard and harpoon hand, which I felt was a slap in the face of my childhood Superfriends nostalagia was overcome pretty quickly. A year or two later, I jumped aboard the tail end of Peter David's Aquaman run and bought the title until its end with the stellar Jurgens/Epting run.


Still, the thought of picking up a copy of Peter David's Aquaman #2 never dawned on me until I picked up a run bag of Aquaman comics at a used book store. Issue 2 wasn't among them. When I did see a copy there, I think it was like 20 bucks... Too rich for me.


Near where I live is an antique store, or two, or three, and you can't call it a good antique store if there are no comic books there. Needless to say, comic books are available. Lots of them.


Now, if you've ever been to antique store, the prices for the comics for the condition they are in can be a bit sketchy. Doubly so if you've been exposed to the ins and outs of comic book collecting and value as I have. Comic looks worse for wear but it's from the 70's? Think I will just write, yes I said write, $10 on the comic ITSELF. Enough to drive a collector mad. Then, there are the dealers who've actually stepped into a comics shop. Those comics are bagged. At least. You can bet they cost more than the original cover price though.


Over the years, I have become bearish on buying back issues. You're unlikely to flip for more than the cover price - if that. If you're buying them at an antique store, chances are you're buying them at price that doesn't correspond with their condition. For years, paying $4 to $10 for an issue, forget about that.


Funny thing is... new comics ARE available within those price ranges. Want to buy the latest issue of Aquaman? Four dollars, please. An annual, likely $8. Heck, I've spent ten dollars on a comic or two as well.


So I browsing through the comics in the antique store, most of them are late 80s to early 00s. Of course, there's the obligatory Silver Age comics with their high sticker prices yet they are in Good condition - at best. Those aren't the topic of this entry. If I want to read those stories, I would just buy the trade or read them digitally. Or become rich. But, I digress.


Anyway, I am browsing through 80s to early 00s comics and the nostalgia bug tingles. These are the comic books that form my early comic book collecting/reading experience. Sure, key issues are few and far between but I can't help getting a little giddy. What's more and the prices fall within that $4 - $10 range. Even, the comics that look worse for wear are drawing a hard 'NO' from me. Those that fall within the $4 - $10 range.


Why? I spend that on new comic books already. I buy A LOT. Too much, honestly. Which is also why I haven't tried to clear out the antique store... But, anyhoo... Therefore, I've become used to paying a certain cover price for a given issue. Really, doesn't matter how old the comic is or if it's not too worn. Thanks Diamond! A rant for another time...


Back to Aquaman #2. Among the trip to nostalgia lane, I find the copy pictured above. Condition? Not too bad. It's bagged so I don't know how mangled the insides are. However, the covers seem in reasonable condition. Furthermore, as long as it's readable and looks good for its age, I am happy.


Remember, how I said Aquaman #2 can cost more than $10? This copy cost me THREE DOLLARS. $3 dollars! Sure double the original cover price; but a steal compared to how much it would cost in the back issue market. Heck, it was cheaper than the new issue of Aquaman I am buying this month!


The experience has taught me two things. One, you can fill holes in your collection by visiting antique stores. Two, the old price tags no longer induce sticker shock deterring me from purchasing; because I am already spending that much on new comics.


Next time.






No comments: