Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Pole-arm Thoughts and Other Take-Aways from D&D 5E Adventurers League Session 11/13/18



Huzzah!!! That O' reader is the exultant shout of an excited gamer who experienced an exhilarating gaming session marking the return to regular gaming. Not only that but it's the excitement that arises from trying a new concepts that I haven't done before playing the fifth (official) edition of the world's most popular table-top role-playing game. A concept I haven't used during my entire time playing Adventurers League. Heck, I've never created a PC based on this particular concept during my entire D&D gaming experience. Entire table-top role-playing experience too. Very exciting installment of my Five Take-Aways!


What is the new concept I've never played before?


A Waterdeep City Guard who wields a pole-arm. A halberd, to be precise.


Yep. I've never played a city guard before in an RPG session. Not to my recollection anyway... When I first spotted the background within Sword Coast Adventurers Guide, my reaction was... meh. The Investigator was kind of nice; but why would you play the regular watchman? Since Season 8's setting is Waterdeep, the city guard background was very appealing from a role-play standpoint. When else would you pick the background while playing in the Adventurers League Organized Play campaign? A background which fits like a glove.


Pole-arms? They've never quite fit what I was playing nor appealed via rule-wise to me. Back during AD&D 2E, the weapon speed was too slow and impaired the high damage die. The way we played never quite supported the benefits. Plus, the pole-arm wielder didn't fit my visage of a D&D adventurer. Third edition: the rules were much better; but D&D has always been too much in-your-face. Most pole-arms would become a liability with my play-style. Although, I did witness some gamers use pole-arms well with their PCs. Fourth: Never played long enough. My experience with B/X was more hodge-podge combo with AD&D. Didn't play a pole-arm wielder in that game. When I played AD&D 1E, neither PC was a fighter-type.


Over the years, I learned Gary Gygax was a huge pole-arm fan. I've also come to appreciate the historical significance of the weapon. Coupled with D&D 5E rules having what appeared to be the most pole-arm friendly D&D rules I've ever seen, I've felt a desire to play a pole-arm wielder. Particularly a halberd wielder.


With Season 8 fresh and the urgent need to create a new PC, it was time.


So without further ado, here's my Five Take-Aways from tonight.


Imps make great impactful and flavorful familiars - Disclaimer: my fighter does not have a familiar. However, I have yet to write a Five Take-Away and not comment about what another player does. Been participating in Adventurers League for several years now. Most of the familiars are... birds. Really haven't seen many imps. Heck, I don't think I'd choose an imp! This session changed my mind. For starters, the DM insisted the imp had its own personality role-played by the DM. Familiars have been more like add-ons so it was nice to have an NPC follower/henchmen/hireling dynamic present. Especially in D&D 5E where the dynamic doesn't exist. Least not in AL. Furthermore, the heavy lifting was performed by the imp familiar. Searching and a pivotal plot involving in action the familiar was untrained. The table waited with baited breath as the player rolled the untrained check... and... succeeded! Don't get more D&D than that!


City guard background enhanced the experience - No die rolls were impacted. Nor were any major scenes affected by the city guard background. However, it lent a RPG hook and influenced role-play where I do not believe I would've role-played my PC within the manner that I did. The guard aspect was played up as well as the PC's connection to Waterdeep. Plus, NPC references to my PC held a minute measure of note. Sorry spoilers....


Pole-arm reach is nice and not a hindrance! - In 3rd edition, an opponent closed with a pole-arm wielder the PC had to 5' step away if possible. Not required within 5E. Never had to sweat when an enemy closed the gap. Furthermore, the ability to attack an enemy more than a square (5') away was an incredible feeling. Positioning my PC more than a sword's distance away was a nice feeling.


Pole-arm Master is Awesome - An opponent moves within 10 feet (2 squares) of my PC? I attack them. I attacked once with the halberd blade and hit? Cool. Time to swing the blunt end of the halberd at the opponent or a different opponent. The halberd wielding pole-arm expert opened a range of tactical options I normally don't play with. I can whack an opponent before it reaches my PC and then on my turn effectively attack twice. Absolutely love the feat!


Rolling max halberd damage, great weapon fighting, and low level led my PC to being an angel of death - I don't often roll maximum damage. Rolling 1s or 2s is more common for me especially when rolling d4s (such as when the blunt end of the halberd is swung). Furthermore, PCs don't remain 1st or 2nd level long in Adventurers League. So I've forgotten what it's like when a PC downs an opponent with one blow. Well, tonight, I believe I rolled maximum halberd damage (d10) multiple times! If the halberd damage didn't drop an NPC than the blunt end would. Felt nice replacing the 1 or 2 rolled on damage with a 3 or a 4, alright. Swathes of NPCs fell from the ends of the halberd. If only damage scaled with level! Regardless, my 1st-level halberd-wielding fighter was an engine of destruction. As opponents' hit points increase, the effectiveness will diminish. Still the feeling of rolling maximum damage along with feeling minimum damage can be rectified was a glorious feeling indeed.


That is my latest installment of my Five Take-Aways.


Until next Tuesday, happy gaming!

No comments: