Thursday, November 8, 2018

Converting Adventurers League PCs From XP to ACP Was A Snap



When I played D&D 5E at my FLGCS Adventurers League night on October 30th, I sort of fudged my PC's qualifications to participate at a Tier 1 table. According to experience points, my PC was still 4th level. However, the PC could've been fifth level and unable to participate in Tier 1 modules. Why? Cause Adventurers League switched from experience points to advancement checkpoints as inspired by Xanathar's Guide To Everything. Originally, Shadowrun Missions was scheduled for that day so I wasn't planning on converting any of Dungeons & Dragons PCs to the new system. Despite knowing plans changed, I didn't convert any of my PCs and guessed...


Beginning this upcoming Tuesday, I'll have the option to game as much as I have the entire 2018 so far to date! Home game, it wouldn't be a problem. However, the majority of the gaming will be via Adventurers League. Can't really not convert any of PCs to the new advancement checkpoint system if I want to game, now can I?


Fortunately, the conversion is more tedious than complex. Felt more of throwback to doing homework in math class!


Now before the Adventurers League police cuff me for not convert my tortle monk to ACP (advancement checkpoints), I had perused the conversion rules beforehand. The number of advance checkpoints a PC possesses after conversion is a ratio multiplied by the number of checkpoints required to advance in level. Since a player decides whether to round up or round down, I chose round down. Nuno the ninja tortle monk would not be automatically bumped to level 5 upon conversion.


Nuno did level though as he leveled upon the module's completion. Despite rounding down, Nuno had enough ACP to raise a level even if I had chosen slow progression.


Cool,


Now, I had to convert the other characters.


Grogg - another PC I could've converted to a higher level. He would be eighth level (character and class) and eligible for another feat or ability score improvement. Remain undecided on what options I want yet. Round down it is. One more module to decide...


By the time I converted my third PC, Morland Doyle, conversion was a breeze. Won't be able to play Morland any time soon though. Following conventional rounding practices seemed sensible to me. Rounded down.


Tor - really love playing my Tempest Cleric whom I've patterned after Gaiman's Sandman and what I've heard is Apotheosis's interpretation of Thor. I wanted Tor to remain Tier 1 a little while longer so I rounded down. With Slow Progression, two modules should be the minimum for Tor to reach Tier 2. Honestly, don't know how my play-style will fit the upper tiers...


Last but not least was my very first Adventurers League PC, the Dragonborn Paladin Ser Rhogar. Conversion was a snap. Pretty much converted him to one ACP almost exactly. Maybe I'm old school but you don't round to 2 if it's 1.13... Frankly, the hardest part was determining whether it paid to convert Ser Rhogar as I hadn't played him since Season 7 began. The PC died right a month prior so I had to determine if he had enough gold to pay for a Raise Dead spell-casting service. Suppose not playing a Tier 2 PC in over a year influenced my decision to round down as well.


Overall, the hardest part of converting my Adventurers League PCs was repeating the process four additional times. I began playing table-top RPGs back during the days of AD&D 2E. I'm used to character advancement taking a little while longer. Rounding down was an easy decision. After all, I can participate in both Tier 1 and Tier 2 modules longer than otherwise.


Wouldn't hurt to create a new level 1 PC though...


Happy Gaming!


Next time.



No comments: