Tuesday, September 10, 2019

My Experiences With DC Universe's (Streaming) First Year


Has it been a year? Has it really been a year since the official launch of the DC Universe Subscription service?

According to an email in my inbox today, yes. Yes, it has.

Meaning as an early adopter, three months remain on my subscription. Since a fifteen months-in-review doesn't carry the same overtones as a year-in-review, it's time for my assessment of the subscription service's first year.

For those stumbling upon my blog for the first time, I refer to DC Universe as a subscription service instead of a streaming service because it offers far, far more than a mere streaming service.

A streaming service doesn't have a community section for fans to engage each other on...

Community section:

Admittedly, I haven't participated on the forums. Lurked (read but not participated) some threads; but no commenting. Other than the occasional chatter on social media, I reserve much of what I would state there on here. Unlike social media, I feel incredibly awkward sharing a link to one of my blog posts on a company forum in which users participate anonymously. Mayhap one day I will de-lurk there.

I consider DC Daily to be company outreach to fans to boost engagement while informing them. Haven't watched more than one or two although I should. Would probably feel like I was getting more of my money's worth if I watched those clips...

What I have participated in frequently has been the sweepstakes. I have plenty of contests in order to win pretty much every other week.

Uh, I have not won anything. One day, one day. I will blog about winning a contest and it will be glorious.

Movies

What really made DC Universe feel like a steal initially was the presence of recently animated movies. Don't need to buy the DVD or Blu-Ray of say Batman Ninja. I can watch it on DC Universe. Big wigs who own and run DC and Warner Brothers fret not. Movie watching hasn't been a thing for me whenever I am using the platform.

Considering this year marks the 30th anniversary of Keaton's Batman, I do plan on remedying the lack of movie watching soon.

Comics

Back when DC Universe debuted, the comics selection would rotate. Not only did the rotation ceased; but the selection has expanded. Comics as recent as the first couple issues of Doomsday Clock are available on the platform. Sure, months have passed between issues; however comics released roughly a year ago are becoming available. Given how I don't really keep up with monthly comics, I can 'wait for the Network' more and more.

Granted, I would need to read the digital comics available on DC Universe first. I marked some series as favorites. Added some issues to a 'To Be Read' list. However, I haven't read any digital comics except for the first five issues of Gerard Way's Doom Patrol run shortly after the first episode of Doom Patrol.

Turns out binge-skimming those Way Doom Patrol issues were the best thing for my opinion on those issues. Called it quits on Young Animal and was about purge those issues from my collection until I did so. Only reason why I am buying Doom Patrol Weight of the Worlds from my local comics shop is because of both the show and the late night I spent skimming those issue on DC Universe.

What I mostly use the comics for is research when deciding whether to purchase an Omnibus. I check if those issues are available online. Then, like the old days, I make my decision based on the covers. Bought the Joker Bronze Age Omnibus because I went through the contents on the list.

Television Shows

Previously, I remarked on how happy of a fanboy I am shows such as the live-action Superboy are available. Hadn't watched the 'Halloween' themed episodes of Superboy during last October. Decided I would wait until this October to do so.

Besides, I was busy watching shows like Doom Patrol. Excellent, excellent television. Captured the feel of Morrison's Doom Patrol while using the original Doom Patrol (most were, uh, dead prior to Morrison's run) as the cast. The references to the Silver Age material were cool. Doom Patrol season one was both edgy yet the best super team origin story on television beating the previous record holder of the Arrowverse Flash season one. I avidly watched each episode weekly with the exception of three episodes near the run.

Needless to say, I eagerly awaited Swamp Thing as result. The first episode was a great example of horror television. Unfortunately, the execs desired not only a change in direction but canned the series. Coinciding with start of summer, I didn't have the heart to follow the show week-to-week knowing that was it. Another October goal. Hopefully, I don't feel like those who discovered Firefly after that show's cancellation.

Now Titans Season Two began, or will begin. Really don't want to fall behind like I did Swamp Thing. A tricky feat. Never saw season one. Got a lot of catching up to do!

On this note, think I am going to spend some time on the DC Universe Subscription Service.

Next time.

No comments: