Friday, March 22, 2019

Discussion Question Answers: Torchwood - Ghost Mission Audio Drama




There's a story behind why I am holding a photo of a shrink-wrapped copy of the Torchwood: Ghost Mission Audio Drama CD. Will get to that in a moment...


Over on a social media platform, which as part of a lark I'll refer to as the Book of Face, Big Finish the UK producer of audio dramas started a discussion group for a select audio drama. Toward the end of the month Big Finish releases a list of discussion questions. February's selection was the aforementioned drama. I actually listened to Ghost Mission last month; but I have waited until the questions for this month's selection to be released. Funny word 'wait'...


You see living across the pond acquiring Big Finish audios can be... difficult. So I order them from FLCGS. Namely select Doctor Who audios; but when they debuted I bought the Torchwood solos as well. Then, I realized I really wasn't interested in every Torchwood solo so I stopped buying them. Eventually, I cut back on purchasing Big Finish audios all together. I just wasn't listening to them. They're really too pricey not to listen. Besides, I started to purchase digital copies of the audios whenever they're on special. Ergo, no sense in buying the CDs...

Anyway... I discover the Big Finish discussion group on the Book of Face. Why not start with February selection, Ghost Mission? As the audio selection, the digital was on sale. Why not purchase it? After all, I did STOP BUYING the solo Torchwoods...

I'm sure you get where this is headed...

Once I finished downloading my digitial copy of Torchwood: Ghost Mission, I begin listening to it when I scan my collection of Big Finish audios. There, still enshrined within the shrink-wrap it arrived across the pond, is my physical copy. On the bright side, I listed to both copies. I really can't listen to audio once and get everything on the first go.

Honestly, I could probably listen to Ghost Mission a third time and then I would understand how Sergeant Andy Davidson (the main - or is it sole? - protagonist) solves the problem at the end. Fortunately, such understanding is unnecessary to answer the questions.

Overall, I felt Torchwood: Ghost Mission was a solid romp featuring a character who doesn't often embark on such adventures. Heck, this is pretty much Sgt. Andy Davidson's first romp. I'd say his lack of experience is as much a part of the story as his his overcoming it is. His chemistry with his... evaluator... is top-notch. 

I did dislike a couple things. One, the audio is best enjoyed by those who have followed not only much of the Torchwood range but much of Big Finish's output as well. Dusclaimer: I didn't realize what I missing ubtil I read the discussion questions. My second issue was the prevalence of the word 'stalk-y'. While hilarious back when this audio was released several years ago, it comes across as dated in the wake of recent social developments.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

Now the discussion questions...

Norton Folgate is a Big Finish created character. Do you want like him? How well do you think he fits the Torchwood universe compared to other Big Finish characters?

I rather liked the smarmy, dapper Norton Filgate. While I can't comment too much on comparisons with other Big Finish characters, Norton Folgate is a perfect example of the morally grey, complex characters that dot the world of Torchwood.

Do you think there's a place for Andy full time in Torchwood?

Heck yeah! I bought Ghost Mission precisely because I am a fan of the character. There's always room for a cgaracter full of naievity and levity whose just beginning to dip their toe.  Besides, Torchwood is quite hazardous so there's always room for someone new...

Does comedy have a place in a Torchwood range?

Yes, especially when characters like Andy are the focus. Not every mission Torchwood needs be grim. 

Do you think the Bad Penny is the same as the Bad Penny from the fourth doctor story or the Torchwood story? Does it add to mythos? What Torchwood elements should return?

I, er, haven't listened to either the Tom Baker or Torchwood Bad Penny stories. Maybe? Guess, it would be cool if it did. I always did love when elements would reoccur. As for which Torchwood elements should return, I haven't the foggiest.

Would you like to see future Norton and Andy adventures? What other situations would you like to see them in?

Future Norton and Andy adventures would be fantastic as they suit each other like a glove. Honestly, I like to see Andy interact with Norton in Norton's time. Although that could be the Doctor Who fan in me thinking. Perhaps a situation stemming from the outcome of the Bad Penny's appearance in Ghost Mission?

Who do you think sent Andy the egg plant emoji?

Uh, really, that's a question??? One of his co-workers whom goes on pub crawls with...


Mayhap, I will provide a review/discussion question answers for the March Big Finish audio selection. I KNOW I don't own a physical copy of that story.

Next time.





No comments: