Sunday, August 26, 2018

SR5: So Magicians Can Now Shut Off Other Magician's Foci



We're nearing the end of the month so Shadowrun is on my mind again. After all, Tuesday Game Night at my FLGCS hosts a Shadowrun Missions event. More on that later...


Recently, I read portions of the magic section in the Core Rulebook that I really didn't bother too much with. The Enchanting section in particular. My Shadowrun Missions PC, Nox, doesn't possess any of the skills within the Enchanting skill group. Alchemy was strange, new, and something I wasn't quite ready for. As the Missions storyline progressed (and as I bought modules I had played during DM Day sale at DriveThru RPG...), I learned a magical trap was an alchemical preparation. Quick skimming conferred an Enchanting skill was required to disarm such a trap. My knowledge of Alchemy and Dispelling skills in a nutshell. Then with advent of Season 9 and the Neo-Tokyo reboot I embarked on a deeper dive...


Alchemy is neat but requires too much to worth my combat mage's karma at this stage. Unless there's a spellcaster at the table, I am not confident how well an alchemist would perform in Missions play. Although considering how I consider Sorcery is weakened in 5th edition, I may be overthinking Alchemy's apparent weakness too much.


Using Dispelling to disarm alchemical preparations set up as traps is cool. Much better than relying upon Counterspelling when the drek hits, eh? Can be used to shut off another Awakened's active foci within line of sight...


Can be used to turn off an active focus within line of sight?!


What a nice sustaining focus or weapon focus you have there, would be a shame if someone turned it off...


Yes, there's a contested role. Yes, there's drain involved. Yes, dispelling a focus is only a mere debuff. No, a threat won't be taken out directly.


However, I don't recall Magicians being able to shut off another's focus in prior editions of Shadowrun (Maybe they could in 4th...). Dispelling a focus is a means for a magician to deal with a magical threat in a fashion other PC's can't. You're summoned spirit is whirling dervish of death except against the adept with a weapon foci? The poor chummer better possess the power Killing Hands once you've turned it off. There's a magician with an active foci who has multiple magical effects going on? The sustained spell dissipates once the focus is dispelled. Their spellcasting isn't as potent you've target their power/spell foci.


The prospect of dispelling foci is a nifty enough trick that it's worth pumping karma into for my combat mage who in all practicality only has four more modules of play left. The conjurer PC, well a PC who summons and binds spirits better than my current PC, I am considering for the Neo-Tokyo arc would love to disarm antagonists armed with weapon foci to prolong his/her spirits' longevity.


Honestly, I wish I discovered this particular use of the Dispelling skill sooner. Hindsight's 20/20 I guess.


Back to the reason why Shadowrun is once again on my mind, Tuesday Night's Shadowrun Mission event? It wouldn't cancelled three consecutive months? Yeah... See August 30th marks the beginning of Adventurers League's eight season. As a consequence, all the DM's participating in DM's Quest rewards program have this week to finish up Season 7 modules. One of the players is among that number. Unfortunately, Shadowrun is pushed back another month. Again.


At least, I will be able to play D&D 5E AL again though!


Happy Gaming!


Next time.

No comments: