Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Stranger Things, Adventurers League, and New Players

Recently, I discovered the joy of the Netflix series, Stranger Things. In addition to being an eighties movie pastiche, Stranger Things is celebration of 80's pop culture, fads, and trends. Among them is a game of particular fondness of this blog, Dungeons & Dragons. While I am not quite old enough to have played the Red Box bought from a toy store, I am old enough to have seen the advertisements. As I lamented previously, I don't recall ever seeing any of those D&D games in stores although I kind of looked...


Trip down memory lane over. Back on topic. Anyway the kid group plays D&D, which winds up playing a major role in Stranger Things. I may quibble about accuracy; but how consistently were the rules played from group to group back in those days. Especially among kids. I mean look at Monopoly. How many people actually read those rules? May not have had the disdain I held against board games for as long as I did if we had... In any case, the Dungeons & Dragons play in Stranger Things does reflect play accurately among kids of that age group. Whatever that age group is as I am not sure how old they actually are...


As an aside, the Upside-Down is a smashingly great idea that WotC should capitalize on. Sure, there's echoes of it here and there but it was never a cornerstone of any D&D game I ever participated in. When the 'Demogorgon' hops from plane to plane is very reminiscent of monsters travelling to and from the Ethereal Plane. Sure, there's the Plane of Shadow but that didn't really become into its own until 4th Edition. The Upside-Down could serve as fodder for really nasty Umbral realm or a post-apocalypse Penumbra in World of Darkness games.


So watching Stranger Things does really inspire me to play D&D. Particularly simpler D&D. Since there isn't any nearby OD&D, B/X, BECMI, or retro clone games occurring in the area, fifth edition is probably as close as I'll get. Wouldn't you know my local FLGCS runs Adventurers League games.


Recently I sat at an Adventurers League table hosted by my FLGCS and other than the adults, such as myself, playing and DMing I'd swear it was like watching the cast of Stranger Things (okay maybe younger...) game! There was same intense passion, excitement, and energy. Tactical combat? We don't need no stinking tactical combat was the mantra. Combat happened. They went full bore. In short, the one encounter adventuring day.


Adventurers League doesn't do the one encounter day. AL doesn't do 'OMG it's Demogorgon!' day. It does three encounters although the final encounter does include a boss like 'Demogorgon', ie Big Bad. Adventurers League is designed for the convention audience in mind. The serious player who wants to be challenged each encounter until final battle when they just have their weapons and cantrips against the Big Bad.


Except unlike the days of the RPGA, AL mods can be run at home or at game stores. Unlike the days of Red Box or pre-4th edition D&D (although 4th wasn't that expensive), I can't imagine young players as young or younger than the Stranger Things group plunking down $150 for the core set to play D&D. So they aren't going to play at home. They will probably play at a store. So instead of gaming among each other they'll be gaming with teens and adults. Participating in D&D play that doesn't necessarily fit their natural 'all spells at once' style.


Don't get me wrong that can be fun for a 2 hour 1 - 4 level mod that doesn't follow the typical mode of tough, tough, very tough with maybe a short rest allowed in between. Otherwise, it falls on the adults to shoulder the way through the mod while ensuring the new, young players have fun. Which is all fun and games until an adult's PC dies. Character death is one thing but no one wants to cycle through characters when they otherwise wouldn't.


Yet there's gold in them hills. Stranger Things does and has inspired a new crop of young players to try a game beloved to many gamers, Dungeons & Dragons. Adventurers League at FLCGS serve as the vehicle to try the hobby that it table-top role-playing. It would be folly not to compose modules suited to those young players play style. If not one 'Demogorgon!' encounter, but a trio of meh, meh, 'Oh, no the 'Demogorgon'! Furthermore, such a style reflects D&D's natural play style. It was only when I started playing organized play game did I encounter the tough, tough, and tough style of module. Gaming sessions wavered from the trivial to the epic. Not only would younger, newer players enjoy that style, more experienced, older players would as well.


I know I would.


So here's a call for some simpler two hour and four hour modules that new, young and older, experienced  players who just want to emulate the D&D we see in Stranger Things courtesy of Adventurers League.


Next Time,


Happy Gaming

No comments: