Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Hmm, Guess Watching Wrestling is More of a Habit...

Once upon a time, I was an avid watcher of pro-wrestling.


Okay, sports entertainment. Happy WWE?


I would watch Monday Night Raw, Smackdown, TNA Impact, and ECW/NXT/Tough Enough and would record shows to ensure I wouldn't miss an episode. In retrospect, I watched a lot of wrestling. A lot. Needless to say that took quite a bit of time...


Well, then I went from being able to watch all that wrestling programming to just one show a week, WWE's Main Event. The advent of WWE Network meant no Main Event for me.


So for years, I wasn't watching any regular wrestling shows. Otherwise, there'd be much more wrestling coverage on this blog. Much more.  Cause there's more to gripe about...


Then I regained the ability to watch regular wrestling programming (to be covered in a future post). A week's worth of WWE programming.


Loved the focus on the IC belt on RAW. Cause Brock Lesnar works as often as a politician...


WWE NXT reminded of wrestling shows of old; and I liked the focus on new talent. Meanwhile, 205 Live was the cruiserweight show, which cruiserweights long needed. Greatly liked the toast Austin Aries received. Main Event isn't quite as good if you've seen Raw. Really didn't need to see Samoa Joe beat up on Seth Rollins after winning the match due to an exposed turnbuckle again.


Never thought Jinder Mahal would become #1 contender...


What? All that is month's old stuff, you say? Well, yeah, those events occurred on WWE shows that aired the week of May 8th 2017. Procrastinated about blogging my thoughts on those shows and since it is almost July it feels pointless now what with WWE's weekly new content. Maybe if I took notes about more memorable day stuff for an On this Day feel...


I also haven't watched any wrestling since then. Not because I didn't enjoy those programs. It's been so long a one star match would be at least two or three star match in my eyes. Which is kind of why I procrastinated blogging my thoughts for so long...


Upon reflection, my avid, weekly wrestling habit was broken. I didn't feel an overriding need to watch 5 hours of wrestling. Oops sports entertainment. I watched other things instead. Plus it doesn't help that for every 5 hours of WWE programming, there's really only one or two hours that are truly must see. So the lack of 5 hours, more like 6 or 7, that are must see really isn't conducive to habitual watching. Kind of like comic book reading and collecting. Sure, you may read an issue or two here and buy four issues there but then go months without reading and/or collecting. Feeling that with pro wrestling. It was because I would avidly watch pro wrestling week to week that I avidly watched sports entertainment week to week.


So yeah, I finally understand first-hand why other lapsed hardcore pro wrestling fans have a hard time being hardcore sports entertainment fans they once were.


Not saying I am gonna watch some good ole wrasslin' avidly again but it's probably going take time. Then expect more male soap opera stuff on this blog.


Next time.



No comments: