Tuesday, November 15, 2016

D&D - A 2016 Toy Hall of Fame Inductee...

After my Halloween extended blogging session, I took a little hiatus from blogging. Partially to recharge. Partially because of more serious distractions, ie politics. But I am back to the blogosphere. Quite a bit I want to cover before 2017. What better way to resume than with importance of what one could call an important honorific.


Dungeons & Dragons has been inducted into the National Toy Hall of Fame class of 2016! You can read more HERE.


Frankly, while I am ecstatic about the induction, I don't actually consider D&D a toy per se. Honestly, if anything Transformers would have been a more worthy induction in my eyes. A generational thing, probably. While I grew up during the eighties, I also grew up during the nineties. So while I saw advertisements for the D&D game being available in toy shops, I was either too young when the red box was available or the game had been chased out. Supposed satanic influences and all that. My exposure to D&D was within hobby shops and such. Perhaps I am being to close-minded when it comes a Toy Hall of Fame? Perhaps one day, more adult games such as Cards Against Humanity will be inducted? Either that I am just bummed that a toy that played a huge part during my childhood, ie Transformers, didn't make the cut. Oh well, I suppose there's plenty of time for Transformers to be inducted. After all, the kids who were gifted with the Red Box of Dungeons & Dragons are probably in their forties now. So D&D's inclusion is probably a generational thing from those that could find it in a toy aisle to those that had to tromp into the unknown realm of the hobby shop.


Not saying, I didn't encounter D&D in toy form. Or figurine form is more like it. Back when the Dungeons & Dragons cartoon was reaching its nadir, I came across what I thought were D&D figures. I did buy one. Okay, it was bought for me. Don't remember what it was. It was monstrous looking creature wielding what I suppose was a sling. To my consternation, the limbs were not interposable like other action figures. Never saw them again. That was the only time I recall seeing Dungeons & Dragons in a toy aisle. Perhaps the red box was there too.


So Happy Induction into the Toy Hall of Fame D&D! If I am not whole-heartedly embracing the induction, it's due more to awkwardness than anything else.


Happy Gaming.

No comments: